So I have talked to a few students here who are living in apartments and they have told me that they initially wanted to be in a home stay (because they have so many benefits!) but chose not to because they were too nervous about living with a random family.
I just wanted to tell you some reasons why a home stay is a great idea:
1. Your meals are cooked for you! That’s right, no more making every meal for yourself. It is so nice after four years of making meals for one to just sit down and have dinner come to you. Also you get traditional meals from your host family and they are so good.
2. Your room is bigger than any students in the apartments. I was able to see the apartments that people are sharing and they have three people in a room that is smaller than the one that I have at my home stay! It is also so great to have a room to go to when you just want to be alone and work on homework.
3. Your laundry is done for you. You heard it.
4. You are a part of a family and chances are you will remember the time with them the most! Your host gives the most genuine advices you can get. Why? Because you are part of their family. Getting tips about how to get through the education system, excel in your O’levels, A’levels etc, a homestay would definitely be it for you.
5. Your host family has the best insight on what to do in Singapore. Whether it is how to get to school or where to get food for lunch, they know the ins and outs of the city. It is really so comforting to know that you can come home and ask someone who will have a really well thought out answer.
If you are on the fence about doing a home stay, I hope these tips will help you! I know that some students are very nervous but it really did turn out for the best!